Valentine’s Day is on a Wednesday this year. Hump Day, the most innocuous day of them all. Taking the day off to celebrate would be weird, wouldn’t it? That’s okay. The Valentine’s Day gift we’d like to see you get yourself this year is the gift of self-love.
You knew we were going to say that, didn’t you? Lingerie is, after all, an obvious expression of self-love. A lot of times, we’re the only ones who know what’s going on under our clothing, and isn’t it so nice to know you’re wearing something beautiful under all that office garb? But we’ve come up with some other ways to show self-love that we wanted to share with you.
- Write yourself a letter. In it, tell yourself all the things you like about yourself. Seal it and put it away someplace safe, or give it to a friend. Six months from now, open it. Read it. It’ll be a great reminder about the things you’re proud of, and happiest with.
- Take a hard look in the mirror and tell yourself, out loud, that you’re beautiful. Do this on Valentine’s morning, no matter what you think you see. And do this every day after that, too. Notice how you feel. Sometimes, even when you’re feeling bad about yourself, you can fake it ’til you make it.
- Celebrate some deliberately tiny wins. Have a good breakfast? Celebrate it. Called a friend you’ve been putting off? Celebrate that, too. Actually cross off most of the items on your to-do list? Cheer. Celebrating the little things can make your day ever so much better.
- Forgive yourself for something you’ve been carrying around. That thing you’re so ashamed of, that thing you’ve been carrying around for years? Make amends with it. It happened; you can’t change it. Write it down; put it in an envelope, then shred it.
- Take five. Or ten. It’s Valentine’s Day. Find five or ten minutes to settle down and have a cup of tea, or whatever your beverage of choice is. Don’t check your e-mail or mess around on Facebook or Snapchat; just pay attention to whatever’s in front of your face, and your five or ten minutes of relaxation. You’ll be surprised how long five minutes actually is, when you’re taking it for yourself.
Happy Valentine’s Day from all of us at Hips and Curves.
How are you practicing self-love? Tell us in the comments below.